Latest news

MEC sounds alarm on land invasions

26 August 2015


Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay said the new court ruling would hamper the governments housing programme for the poor and have wide-reaching consequences for service delivery across South Africa. Photo: Supplied

Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay said the new court ruling would hamper the governments housing programme for the poor and have wide-reaching consequences for service delivery across South Africa. Photo: Supplied

By Lee Rondganger

Durban – KwaZulu-Natal’s Human Settlements MEC Ravi Pillay has raised the alarm that all land is at risk of invasion after the ruling in the Durban High Court last Thursday that stopped municipalities from evicting squatters without a court’s approval.

To prevent invasions the provincial government would have to throw more resources at protecting property from squatters.

The MEC voiced his concerns to the Daily News about the ruling made, which forbade the eThekwini Municipality from evicting shack dwellers in Cato Manor. It may also not destroy shacks without notice, which had been allowed by a previous ruling.

Read the full article from:  iolNews.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: